From Indivisible Guide 'Mothership' ~ Save the ACA | April 27, 2017
48 Hours to Save the Affordable Care Act
We have 48 hours to defeat TrumpCare... again. And it's going to come down to YOUR constituent power. Use the information in this document to make sure that your representatives are committed not only to upholding the ACA as a law but supporting it as a means for affordable health care coverage for millions of Americans.
Republican Members of Congress (MoCs) are trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA)—again. They want to move forward even though their bill strips coverage from 24 million Americans, even though in March they had to embarrassingly pull their bill from the House floor before a vote, even though a recent Kaiser Health poll shows that 74% of respondents said Republicans should do what they can to make the Affordable Care Act work. This is unacceptable.
Update: MacArthur-Meadows Amendment Only Makes TrumpCare Worse
The latest amendment to TrumpCare was added to appease the radically conservative Freedom Caucus and makes the bill even worse. It is time to once again raise your voice. Your MoCs need to hear from YOU that any more time on TrumpCare is wasted time.
Make calls and visit district offices NOW and demand that your MoC abandon ACA repeal efforts.
Sample Talking Points for Office Visits/Calls
- I opposed TrumpCare, and will continue to hold YOU [your MoC] accountable for preserving quality, affordable coverage under the ACA.
- The latest amendment makes the bill even worse by allowing states to end protections for people with pre-existing conditions. I expect you to stand up for the tens of thousands in our district who could be charged higher premiums.
- The ACA is the law of the land. I will not tolerate any more time wasted on TrumpCare, which would take away care from 24 million people and cut Medicaid by $880 billion dollars in order to give tax cuts to the wealthy, insurance companies, and other big corporations.
- Congress is responsible for ensuring the existing health care system works. We will hold YOU accountable for any action that makes healthcare more expensive or drives insurance companies out of the marketplaces.
- Medicaid expansion is here to stay and I expect YOU [your MoC] to support expansion in our state.
- TrumpCare is a major threat to the Medicaid program—it would cut $880 billion dollars from the Medicaid program in order to fund tax breaks for the wealthy and big corporations. Millions of Americans have benefit from expanded Medicaid coverage. I am disappointed that Republicans want to take Medicaid coverage away from vulnerable populations—like the elderly and the disabled. This is unacceptable. Furthermore, more states are thinking about expanding Medicaid since TrumpCare was defeated.